skip to main content

Vehicle and vessel licensing

A service of the Department of Executive Services

Records and Licensing Services Division
King County Administration Building
500 Fourth Ave., Suite 403
Seattle, WA 98104

Vehicle and Vessel Licensing

Taxi, For-Hire, and TNC Licensing

Taxi, For-Hire and TNC Drivers

A King County for-hire license or permit is required of any taxicab, TNC, or for-hire vehicle whose driver(s) operate(s) in the following areas: all of unincorporated King County, Port of Seattle including Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (requires port authority) and within the city limits of Auburn, Bellevue, Burien, Covington, Enumclaw, Federal Way, Issaquah, Kenmore, Kent, Kirkland, Maple Valley, Redmond, Renton, Sammamish, SeaTac, Seattle, and Shoreline.

Below you will find that we have outlined everything you need in order to apply for either a For-Hire license or permit, or both.

Questions? Please email us at

NOTE: We are continuing to update this page. Please check back often for new information

General Administrative

Training Resources

Testing Resources

City of Seattle

Codes Governing Taxi, For-Hire, and TNCs


Jan. 30, 2015 -- King County and the Transportation Network Companies (TNCs) are working to facilitate the application process for active TNC drivers. In order to drive in the City of Seattle and King County, drivers need to work through their TNC in order to apply and receive a for-hire permit prior to operating as a for-hire driver. If you are driving for more than one TNC, you are only required to have one For-Hire permit and vehicle endorsement.