King County GIS Center
Vision, Mission, and Goals
The King County GIS Center is the premier provider of spatial information and GIS services in the region.
The King County GIS Center (KCGIS Center) delivers efficient, high-quality GIS technology solutions to King County agencies, the public, and our regional partners, in order to meet the needs of King County government and the communities we serve. The core value of the KCGIS Center is to provide services that are accurate, consistent, accessible, affordable, and comprehensive.
- Increase efficiencies and effectiveness of spatial data and GIS applications.
- Provide a valued regional resource of spatial information and GIS expertise.
- Increase ability of county agencies to meet their business needs.
- Continue logical, enterprise-based and business-driven development of KCGIS data, applications, systems, staff, and regional coordination.
To achieve these goals, the GIS Center is organized to…
- Manage the coordination of GIS activity across county departments
- Provide guidance, expertise, and oversight for the KCGIS community
- Administer the core KCGIS database
- Administer the core system components that provide access to the KCGIS database
- Coordinate countywide GIS hardware and software purchase and maintenance contracts
- Support maintenance of core GIS data by county departments
- Develop and maintain a standard GIS data and application front end.
An additional resource we provide to King County is the GIS Center Client Services Group. This group is composed of staff available for GIS-related projects, services, consulting, and products on a charge-back cost reimbursable basis. Examples of the GIS Center’s client service offerings include the following.
- Custom GIS-based map development & custom cartography
- Department GIS environment customization
- Custom GIS application development
- Custom cartography
- Technical writing
- GIS training
- GIS data development
For more information about the King County GIS Center, contact George Horning, King County GIS Center Manager.