Coho salmon identification
Photos from Inland Fishes of Washington by Whitney and Wydoski, © 1979 University of Washington Press. Reprinted by permission of the University of Washington Press.
- Back and head dark bluish-green
- Lower sides brilliant red to wine color
- Gill cover reddish
- Spots on back and UPPER lobe of tail fin only
- Lower gum line is light colored
- Range in length from 17 to 38 inches
- Mid-October through early January
Now that you know all about identifying salmon in streams, test yourself! Click on the mystery fish page to find out more!