Chum salmon identification
Photos from Inland Fishes of Washington by Whitney and Wydoski, © 1979 University of Washington Press. Reprinted by permission of the University of Washington Press.
- Rare in Lake Washington
- No distinct black spots on back or caudal fins
- Males are dark blue above with reddish-purple vertical markings and well developed teeth
- Females less colorful, often with horizontal bar along sides
- Lower gum line is black
- Range in length from 30-42 inches
- November through late December
Now that you know all about identifying salmon in streams, test yourself! Click on the mystery fish page to find out more!