skip to main content

King County Sheriff

Leadership, Integrity, Service, Teamwork

   King County Sheriff

Emergency: Call 9-1-1

Call (206) 296-3311 24-hours to report a neighborhood problem or a crime that is not an emergency.

King County Courthouse
516 Third Ave
Room W-150
Seattle, WA 98104
(206) 296-4155
TTY Relay: 7-1-1












See this page for information about:

  • Applying for a New License
  • Concealed Pistol Licenses for Out-of-State Residents
  • Renewing A Concealed Pistol License
  • Replacing a Concealed Pistol License

Applying for a New License

Click here for application

The initial application process takes around 30 to 60 minutes, including fingerprinting. When you apply the following is required:

  • You must be 21 years of age or older.
  • You must be a citizen of the United States or be a legal permanent resident (immigrant) alien residing in the State of Washington.
  • You must live in King County, or outside the State of Washington in the case of a non-resident concealed pistol license.
  • You need to have picture ID (a Washington State Drivers License or ID card is preferred).  In addition, resident aliens must present their permanent resident alien card or similar document.
  • There is a fee of $52.50.

Concealed Pistol Licenses for Out-of-State Residents

Washington has reciprocity for concealed pistol licenses issued by certain other states, so long as the handgun is carried in accordance with Washington law. The Washington State Attorney General's web site provides a list of those states that have reciprocity with Washington for concealed pistol licenses.

The Sheriff’s Office will issue concealed pistol licenses to out-of-state residents. You must appear in person at the King County Courthouse in downtown Seattle. The requirements and fees are the same as listed above under “Applying for a New License”. The waiting period may take up to 60 days for non-residents. We will mail your concealed pistol license once approved.

Renewing A Concealed Pistol License

If you are a citizen of King County or a resident of another state, your Concealed Pistol License may be renewed up to 90 days prior to the expiration date through 90 days after the expiration date. If you apply on or before the expiration date, the fee is $32; if you apply after the expiration date, the fee is $42. You will need to bring your current license and picture ID.

Replacing a Concealed Pistol License

Replacing your lost, stolen or destroyed concealed pistol license (issued by the King County Sheriff's Office) can only be done in person. To receive a replacement license, you will need to bring your picture ID. There is a $10 replacement fee for this service.

Further information regarding concealed pistol licenses may be obtained at




Terms of use


Links to external sites do not constitute endorsements by King County. By visiting this and other
King County web pages, you expressly agree to be bound by terms and conditions of the site

© 2010 King County

Locations and Times

For New Applications:
Records Unit
King County Courthouse
516 Third Avenue
Room W-150
Seattle, WA 98104
Phone: (206) 263-2626
Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. weekdays
(Phones go to voicemail from noon to 1:00 p.m.)
Closed holidays

SPECIAL NOTICE - EFFECTIVE JANUARY 2013: We are currently experiencing a high volume of fingerprinting requests and can have wait times up to two hours. So that we may best assist you, please arrive by 3 p.m. for fingerprinting, as all services must be completed by 4:30 p.m. No appointment is necessary at the Courthouse location; however the majority of fingerprinting services are done on a “first come, first served” basis. Please be advised, if you arrive after 3:00 p.m. for fingerprinting, we may not be able to accommodate your request until the next business day.

Please note: effective January 2012, the Records Unit will be closed between 8:30 and 9:30 a.m., on the 4th Wednesday of every month.

For Renewals Only:
Renewals are available at the above Records Unit address. You can also make an appointment for renewals only at some of our precinct locations

Payment and Fees

Fees may be paid a personal check or money order (cash payments are accepted at the downtown Seattle Courthouse only). Personal checks or money orders should be made payable to the King County Sheriff's Office. Please note that we do not accept second party checks.

New License: $52.50

  • Renewal on or before expiration: $32
  • Renewal after expiration: $42
  • Replacement: $10

Personal Checks must be:

  • Preprinted, listing name, address, and phone number.
  • Verified by two (2) pieces of identification. One of these must be a Washington State Driver's License or I.D. card with a photograph or a major credit card. The customer's I.D and the information on the personal check must match.