skip to main content

King County Sheriff

Leadership, Integrity, Service, Teamwork

   King County Sheriff

Emergency: Call 9-1-1

Call (206) 296-3311 24-hours to report a neighborhood problem or a crime that is not an emergency.

King County Courthouse
516 Third Ave
Room W-150
Seattle, WA 98104
(206) 296-4155
TTY Relay: 7-1-1












An eviction (Writ of Restitution) involves a tenant being ordered by the court to leave a residence. The court follows the tenant-landlord act of the State of Washington. More information about these laws can be found at the Revised Code of Washington RCW 59.12, RCW 59.18, and RCW 59.20.  

After obtaining a court order to evict a tenant, a landlord wishing to pursue an eviction should fill out the Eviction Data Form before contacting the Civil Unit for processing. Additionally, please provide our office with all items listed on the Writ of Restitution Intake Sheet. Detectives will serve the tenant or post a residence with a writ of restitution or court order. If the tenant has not moved by the date on the writ of restitution or court order, the detectives will assist the landlord in evicting the tenant. The detectives' assistance will include enforcing the court order and ensuring the peace. The landlord is responsible for providing the moving crew and all other needed items. Landlords are encouraged to contact the detective prior to the physical eviction. There are some exceptions which can be found under the RCW links above. Additional information can be found in the Procedures for Writs of Restitution.

Additional resources are available at:

King County Bar Association lawyer referral

(206) 267-7010

Washington Law

Housing Justice Project

206.267.7090 (English) or 206.267.7091 (español)

Solid Ground

Tenant Services Hotline: 206.694.6767 TTY: 7.1.1

Contact or Visit the Civil Unit

Civil Process Unit
King County Courthouse
516 Third Avenue, Room W-150
Seattle, WA 98104
Phone: (206) 263-2600
Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Closed weekends and holidays.

Fees charged

Fees are payable in advance. See our Fee Schedule (effective February 1, 2016) for fees and mileage costs. Acceptable methods of payment are cash, check, or money order. Checks and money orders should be made payable to "King County Sheriff." At this time, we do not accept credit, debit cards or 2nd party checks..

Related Information

Washington Administrative Code
Revised Code of Washington
King County Superior Court
Landlord/Tenant Act