The City of Sammamish, which incorporated in August 1999 and is the newest incorporated city in King County, has a population of over 40,000. Since incorporation, Sammamish has contracted for law enforcement services from the King County Sheriff’s Office. Present on-site staffing includes one police chief (a sheriff’s captain), an administrative sergeant, two operations sergeants, three master police officers, 9 patrol officers, one motorcycle officer, one patrol/DUI officer, two school resource officers, and two burglary/larceny detectives. The city also contracts for most of the investigative and response services of the Sheriff’s Office, such as Major Crimes, Marine Patrol, SWAT, and Canine.
The mission of the Sammamish Police Department is to provide quality, professional law enforcement services to improve public safety within our city. We proactively address public concerns to reduce crime and the fear of crime by providing responsive, cost-effective services to our citizens. The City of Sammamish has been dubbed “The Jewel of the Eastside.” By accomplishing our mission, the Police Department does its part to make that honor a reality.
Sammamish has the largest youth population, per capita, of any incorporated city in the state of Washington. In recognition of this, the police department has initiated several youth-related programs, including:
- School Resource Officers for both high schools and all junior highs/middle schools;
- The Police Partner Program in all of the elementary schools;
- An “Adopt-a-School” Program covering all elementary schools;
- Junior Police Officer stick-on badges for the little kids;
- Expansion of the Student Court Program to cover both high schools in the city.