Salary, Benefits, and Other Rewards
The King County Sheriff's Office is a great place to work, and offers deputies a generous compensation package.
The 2012 salary range for deputies is $60,275-$84,398 annually based on a six-step system (initial hire rate + five increases based on hire date). These are the base rates for which premiums for education, longevity, and specialty assignments are awarded. Cost of living increases are made annually. The current deputy contract expired December 31, 2012 so future salary rates have yet to be negotiated.
- Competitive wages, including special and duty pays
- Paid academy training
- Patrol premium
- Educational incentives for degrees held
- Longevity premiums for years of service
- Paid holidays
- Vacation days
- Sick leave
- Take-home car assigned upon completion of training (laterals); upon completion of probabtion (entry-level)
- Self-paced training program
- Years of law enforcement experience count toward eligibility for most specialty units for lateral hires
- Medical insurance for you and the eligible family members you enroll
- Vision insurance for you and the eligible family members you enroll
- Dental insurance for you and the eligible family members you enroll
- Basic life insurance for you and the eligible family members you enroll
- Basic accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance for you
You may purchase additional/enhanced life insurance for yourself. Employees also can participate in flexible spending accounts for health and dependent care expenses. Other King County employee benefits include the home ownership, Making Life Easier, and mildly ill child care programs.
Uniform and Equipment
King County provides all uniforms and most equipment, as well as a car per officer program.
As a King County Deputy, you become part of the Washington State Law Enforcement and Fire Fighters (LEOFF) Retirement System. You will be part of the group known as LEOFF 2.
As a county employee, you also have the option to participate in a Deferred Compensation Plan, which is a voluntary retirement savings plan.