skip to main content

Department of Permitting and Environmental Review

Department of Permitting and Environmental Review
35030 SE Douglas St., Ste. 210
Snoqualmie, WA 98065-9266

Phone: 206-296-6600
TTY Relay: 711

Service Center Hours

Commercial building permit

What is the purpose of a commercial building permit?

A commercial building permit is required in unincorporated King County to construct a new commercial building structure or for certain tenant improvements to assure the development is consistent with building codes and other applicable regulations.

What activities require this permit?

A commercial building permit is required for:

  • a new commercial building structure
  • tenant improvements if you plan to finish or remodel an existing building shell
  • mechanical (HVAC) or fire systems
  • changes in occupancies
  • installation of new or changes to existing signs and cellular antennas.

Typically, a commercial building permit will require other related permits, administered by the Permitting Department or by other agencies.

Please note: Commercial building permits often require State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) review. See SEPA Process* for more information.

How much will it cost?

Please refer to the Permitting Department's current fee schedule for an estimate.

Where can I get an application?

How do I submit my application?

Refer to pre-applications as a commercial building permit often requires a pre-application meeting prior to application submittal and to the Permitting Department's customer information bulletin 53, Project management for building permits*, for information about projects that require a Project Manager. For more information, see Applying for a permit at the Department of Permitting.

What is the timeline for processing a commercial building permit?

Varies depending on permit decision type (refer to Title 20* of the King County Code).

Notes / Comments

For more information:

Legal authority

Title 16* of the King County Code

Administered by

The Department of Permitting and Environmental Review


For questions, please contact the Permitting Department's customer service at 206-296-6600.

*Note: To view PDFs, free software from Adobe is required. See helpful hints for assistance.

To request this information in alternate formats for people with disabilities, call 206-296-6600 or TTY Relay: 711.