skip to main content

Fire Marshal Services

Department of Permitting and Environmental Review (DPER)

35050 SE Douglas St., Ste. 210
Snoqualmie, WA 98065-9266

A Burn Ban applies to all outdoor burning except small recreational fires.


See Puget Sound Clean Air Agency  -  learn the difference between a fire-safety and air-quality burn ban.

See When is a fire-safety or air-quality burn ban called?       

Fire-safety burn bans

  • are imposed by the KC Fire Marshal for unincorporated KC when the fire danger reaches a critical level.    
  • fire-safety burn ban status is updated on this web page (see right) along with news releases.
  • for cities within an incorporated city or town, call your local fire department for current information.    

Air-quality burn bans

  • are imposed by the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency when air pollution rises to unhealthy levels

Recreational fires must 

  • be built in a metal or concrete fire pit. 
  • not grow larger than 3-feet in diameter;
  • be located in a clear spot free from vegetation for at least 10-feet in a horizontal direction;
  • be at least 25-feet away from any structure;
  • allow 20-foot vertical clearance from overhanging branches;
  • be attended at all times by an alert person with equipment capable of putting out the fire;
  • gas and propane self-contained stoves and barbeques are allowed under the ban. 

General information

  • Burning in KC requires a burn permit from your local fire district. 
  • The KC Fire Marshal does NOT issue burn permits
  • Non-emergency contact information for local fire districts is available on the KC Office of Emergency Management Web site.
  • Burn permits are NOT issued while a fire-safety burn ban is in effect. 
  • Call KC Natural Resources at 1-800-323-BURN for information.