2010: King County's Vote-by-Mail Transition program has been selected as anhonoree for CIO magazine's 21st annual CIO 100 Awards. Based on the outstanding application, editors at CIO magazine have chosen King County as one of 100 innovative organizations that use IT effectively to create business value. Read More
2008: King County's Ingress Security Gateway has been selected as an honoree for CIO magazine's 21st annual CIO 100 Awards. Based on the outstanding application, editors at CIO magazine have chosen King County as one of 100 innovative organizations that use IT effectively to create business value. Read More
2006: King County's Booking and Referral System has been selected as an honoree for CIO magazine's 21st annual CIO 100 Awards. Based on the outstanding application, editors at CIO magazine have chosen King County as one of 100 innovative organizations that use IT effectively to create business value. Read More
County governments across the country, working alone and in cooperation with other governments at the municipal, state and national levels, continue to develop innovative and successful programs in a wide range of service areas, including arts and historic preservation, children and youth, community and economic development, corrections, county administration, emergency management, environmental protection, health, human services, libraries, parks and recreation, transportation, volunteers and much more. The Achievement Awards Program gives national recognition to county accomplishments, and has enabled NACo to build a storehouse of county success stories that can be passed on to other counties.
- 2012: IT Service Center Consolidation
- 2012: Online Vendor Registration
- 2012: Data Center Consolidation
- 2010: King County's Vote-by-Mail (VBM)Transition
- 2010: King County's ADA Mobile Data Terminal/AVL project
- 2010: King County's Flood Response program
- 2008: King County's Ingress Security Gateway
- 2003:King County's Institutional Network (I-NET)
Judges from all over the nation determined the winners for the 2009 Best of Web Awards, presented by the Center for Digital Government. Best of Web recognizes the most innovative, user-friendly state and local government portals. Congratulations to King County for placing third in the County portal category.
An evaluation of America's top digital county governments by the Center for Digital Government. The 2009 Digital Counties Survey found many counties using information technology in increasingly innovative ways and improving service to their citizens.
- 2012: 5th place (tie) with Bexar County, TX
- 2011: 9th place (tie) with Fulton County & Los Angeles County
- 2010: 10th place (tie) with Anne Arundel County, Md
- 2009: 3rd place
- 2008: 5th place (tie) with Orange County, Florida
- 2006: 2nd place (tie) with Fairfax County, Virginia
- 2005: 4th place
The Digital Government Achievement Award recognizes outstanding agency and department Web sites and applications.
- 2010 honorable mention Government-to citizen Category: King County News Syndication System
- 2009 Government-to-citizen Category: Eco-Cool Remodel Tool
- Government-to-business Category: CARTS - Contract and Apprenticeship Report Tracking System
- 2008 Government-to-government category: King County's Ingress Security Gateway
- 2006 Government-to-citizen Local government Category: King County DNRP's Northwest Native Plant Landscaping Guide
MuniNet Guide introduced its first collection of “Top Pick” websites back in 1997 to recognize municipal-related websites that stand out among the crowd.
From the MuniNetGuide web: King County, Washington’s website does a great job of covering the standard fare - providing updated County news, financial information, access to public records and more. But just one step below the surface, this web site offers so many top-quality, cutting-edge features that browsing through its content is like embarking on a successful treasure hunt.
Both the Road Closures and real-time Bus Tracker features provide a great service to commuters, who can use the website to avoid construction obstacles and/or long waits at the bus stop. The real-time Bus Tracker, available by route number and map, uses Automatic Vehicle Location (AVL) technology to track Metro busses and to enhance security.
Another standout feature is the Issues Before the King County Council, a convenient portal that leads to detailed information about the current projects and initiatives. Particularly in these tough economic times, the Jobs page is a great tool for residents to access a list of current County employment opportunities - and to directly apply for these jobs. The Jail Register is a rather unique item that serves as a searchable roster of current inmates.