skip to main content

Public Health - Seattle & King County

19 years and older health insurance (family medical)

Adults and families may be able to get free or low cost health insurance through Washington Health Program administered by Washington State Health Care Authority. Learn more:

DSHS Family Medical program

The Family Medical Program by the Washington State Dept. of Social and Health Services (DSHS) is for families with dependent children 18 years and under whose income and resources are below Temporary Assistance Needy Family (TANF) limits. Family Medical provides medical coverage to children and adult(s) who care for them.

  • Families with dependent children 18 years and under, whose income and resources are below Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) limits (see guidelines below)
  • Washington state resident
  • Not receiving Washington Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) medical assistance (Medicaid) or subsidized Basic Health benefit
  • U.S. citizen status
Income and resource limits

In determining net income, a family can deduct 50% of their earnings, their actual child care costs, and child support paid out by the family.

Number of persons
Monthly income limit – No Shelter
Monthly income limit - Supplied shelter

Resource limits: For family medical, a family may have $1,000 in checking, savings, or cash at the time of application. Certain resources, such as the home you live in and a car worth $5,000 (equity value), or less is not counted.

How to apply and get help
What to send
  • Application
  • Consent form
  • Copy of bank account statements for everyone in household
  • Proof of income for everyone in household
  • Copy of car registration
  • Proof of child care expenses
  • Proof of child support payments
  • Citizen requirements (include U.S. citizens and lawfully admitted residents who meet the 5-year residency requirement & some non-citizens.)
  • Proof of identity such as:
    • State driver’s license
    • State identity or military ID card with picture
    • U.S. American Indian / Alaska Native tribal document
Where to send

Access & Outreach
Public Health - Seattle & King County
401 5th Avenue #1000
Seattle, WA 98104

Or fax the application to 206-296-0881


How to get help