Information for health care providers
Clinical resources and information
- Need technical assistance, training or help developing health-related policies for your agency? Contact the Health and Safety Project.
- Watch our streaming video series: "Stop Germs!" - Introduction to strategies for reducing communicable diseases for providers serving homeless populations
Health Care for the Homeless Clinician's Network
Health Care for the Homeless Clinicians' Network is a national professional association that unites clinicians from many disciplines who are committed to improving the health and quality of life for people who are homeless.
The Clinician's Network provides clinical information, peer support, and innovative ideas through publications, regular communications, and a continually updated Web site. The Healing Hands newsletter addresses clinical issues specific to homeless health care practice. The Clinician's Network collaborates with nationally renowned researchers, focusing on improving outcomes with homeless patients. The Network makes recommendations about clinical practice, adapting established guidelines to fit your practice setting and develops training curricula, workshop sessions, video and audiotapes, and other educational materials.
Membership is open to front-line providers or anyone giving hands-on care to homeless people: Nurses, social workers, substance abuse counselors, mental health therapists, dentists, outreach workers, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, case managers, pharmacists, psychologists, and physicians as well as students in these professions.
Publications from Public Health - Seattle & King County and Seattle’s Health Care for the Homeless Network
- Creating a Health Conscious Culture at Your Homeless Program Site: How to make your shelter environment healthier and safer.
- Recommended Shelter Health and Safety Best Practice Guidelines: Created by Seattle’s Health Care for the Homeless Network If you are starting a new shelter, or want to improve your site, this can serve as a handy, practical guide. Includes policies and procedures regarding blood borne pathogens, staff health, communicable disease.
- Tuberculosis Prevention and Control Guidelines for Homeless Service Agencies in Seattle-King County, Washington
- Brochure and Poster Series, Seattle’s Health Care for the Homeless Network. Basic information about health topics such as heat emergencies, flu shots, MRSA and more written for people who are homeless.
- An Influenza Pandemic Planning Guide for Homeless and Housing Service Providers, Public Health - Seattle & King County. Everything you might want to know about preparing for a pandemic influenza outbreak.
Public Health and external websites
Public Health - Seattle & King County:
State and local websites: