Spiced Pumpkin Soup
(makes 6 servings)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup peeled and cubed sweet potato
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 14-oz cans of nonfat and low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-oz can of pumpkin
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven or large suacepan over medium-high heat. Saute onion for 3-4 minutes then add flour, curry, cumin and nutmeg and saute for 1 minute.
- Add sweet potato, salt, chicken broth and pumpkin and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered for about 20-25 minutes or until sweet potatoes are cooked through and softened. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes to cool.
- Place half of the pumpkin mixture in a blender and process until smooth. Using a strainer, pour soup back into pan. Repeat with rest of soup.
- Raise heat to medium then stir in milk and cook for 5 minutes or until soup is heated through.
- Remove from heat and add lime juice.
|TEXT VERSION OF NUTRITION FACTS:|
Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
||Amount per serving|
|Calories from fat