Advanced Life Support (ALS) Medical Services
There are 5 Advanced Life Support agencies that serve the city of Seattle and King County with seamless paramedic service. Although administrated through different agencies, all are a part of the Medic One System and will respond county wide as the need arises. Generally the agencies serve the areas outlined below:
- Bellevue Medic One serves the City of Bellvue as well as Issaquah and North Bend areas.
- Evergreen Medic One serves the Kirkland, Redmond, Bothell and Woodinville areas.
- King County Medic One serves the Burien, Renton, Kent, Federal Way, Auburn and Enumclaw areas.
- Seattle Fire Department Medic One serves the City of Seattle.
- Shoreline Medic One the City of Shoreline area.
Medic One Paramedics
Medic One paramedics are graduates of the University of Washington / Harborview Medical Center paramedic training program. This intensive 3,000 hour program is recognized and one of the best in the world. This program is operated under the direction of Dr. Michael Copass, Director of Medic One for the City of Seattle. Paramedic trainees receive training including, but not limited to:
- General acute medicine
- Advanced airway and respiratory therapies
- Trauma including burns, orthopedic injuries, triage and extrication, and fluid resuscitation.
Trainees acquire knowledge and skill through clinical rotations in local hospitals, primarily Harborview Medical Center, and while riding on Seattle Fire Department Medic Units under the direct supervision of Senior Seattle Paramedics.
Upon graduation paramedics must attend continuing education classes and be recertified every 2 years.