skip to main content

Public Health - Seattle & King County

Take a class and test online to obtain your official Washington state food worker card

Take a class and test online to obtain your official Washington state food worker card at

Available in English, Spanish, Korean, Russian, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Cambodian and Closed Caption. Typical users take approximately 1 hour to take the course and test.

IMPORTANT: is the only online training program authorized to provide you with a valid food worker card in an online format in Washington state. Any other website or online service claiming to provide certification or comparable online testing to obtain your Washington state Food Worker Card is not valid. The link above takes you to the official website for obtaining your Washington state Food Worker Card and is a partnership of many Washington state counties including King County. If you have any questions about online training to obtain a valid Food Worker Card, please contact us.

Checklist before you begin
Have a working printer connected to your computer or borrow someone else's if you don't have one
Once you pass the test and pay for your card, if you entered an email address during the registration process, you will be emailed a copy of your card in PDF format to print. Save the file to your computer or in your email archives for the full duration of the validity of your card. Make at least 2 printouts: Give a copy to your employer and keep a copy in your wallet. If you lose the one in your wallet, you can print it off again from your saved PDF file. You will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer in order to open and print off PDF files.

Have a valid credit card available before starting the class. The cost of the class and test is $10.
We accept Visa, Master Card, and Discover Card. We also accept any debit card that has a MasterCard/Visa logo. You cannot make arrangements to pay later by credit card or by cash.

Have the latest version of Adobe Flash installed on your computer.
You can download it for free at

Turn off your pop-up blocker.
If the pop-up blocker is on, you may not be able to sign on.

Ready to begin? Go to

Questions and answers

1. How do I contact technical support?

If you have technical problems associated with the online program or payment issues, please call 253-798-6145 for technical assistance between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. After 4:30 PM, please leave a message and someone will get back to you on the next workday. You may also email In any phone or email message, please leave your full name, phone number, email and describe the nature of your concern. Public Health - Seattle & King County does not have any control over the online training system.

2. I have an existing 2 year card and want to renew it for a 3 year card. Will the online class do this?

If your current Washington state food worker card has not been expired for more than 30 days, proceed with taking the online class and test. It will print out a card good for 2 years. To obtain a 3 year card and you reside in King County, please contact us at 206-263-9566 and we will work with you to issue you a 3 year card. If you get voicemail, please leave your name, phone number and when you took the online class. If you do not live in King County, please contact the Washington state county health department serving your area of residence.

3. I have advanced food safety training and would like to get a 5 year card, how do I do it?

A 5 year card can be issued to you if you have completed an approved advanced training course such as a ServSafe Food Manager course within the last 2 years and you have a Washington state food worker card that is due to expire within the next 60 days. You need to take the online training, print your 2 year card and then contact us to schedule a time to show us proof of your advanced certification, your old Washington State food worker card and your new online 2 year card. Once we have verified the advanced training, your old card and your new valid 2 year card, we will issue you a 5 year card. Please contact us at 206-263-9566 if you believe you are eligible for a 5 year food worker card to make arrangements.

4. I was unable to finish the online course in one session, do I have to start over?

No, you can restart the course from where you left off. If you do not complete and pay for your online food worker card class and test within 30 days, your session will be removed from the database and you will need to start over.

5. I took the online course and could not print my card. What do I do?

If you cannot print, please check your printer connections. Ensure the printer is on, has ink and that the printer is connected to your computer. Try using your word processor and see if your printer works or print a test page. If it still doesn't print, you should find a different computer with a working printer to use to take the course. Try taking it at your local public library or at your place of work.

6. My employer wants a copy of my new food worker card, can I make a copy?

Yes, to print or re-print a copy of your food worker your card after the online session ends, follow these steps:
  • Go back to the online food worker card website
  • Select the Login button instead of Registration button
  • Sign in to the online system using you login and password you created when you registered
  • Follow the steps to re-print your card
  • OR, if you received a PDF of your card, you can forward a copy of the PDF to your employer or print it out and provide a hard copy

If you did not provide an email address when registering for the class and did not receive a PDF version of your card and chose to print it off directly from the online system, you can print off your food worker card as many times as you need for free for 5 days after you pass your test. After 5 days, you will be recharged to print your card. We suggest printing off at least 3 copies of your card every time you get a new one. Keep a copy in your wallet, give a copy to your employer and keep another at home or somewhere safe to use at your backup in case you lose the one in your wallet. Replacement permits are $10 if you lose your only copy. Otherwise, you may simply photocopy your permit and give a copy to your employer.

7. I lost my food worker card. How do I get a replacement?

Please see instructions on how to get a replacement food worker card.

8. What are the system requirements for running the online food worker card course?

You will need the following software and equipment to successfully use the online food worker card class:
  • Windows XP with SP3, Vista, or Windows 7 must be installed.
  • Ensure your screen resolution is set to at least 1024 x 768 pixels.
  • Apple computers should work as long as Adobe Flash is installed.
  • It is recommended, your computer have at least 1 gigabyte memory, a 1.6 gigahertz single processor or above and speakers for the audio.
  • You will need a working printer connected to your computer to print your card.

9. Can I post announcements for my staff in multiple languages?

Yes! Downloadable posters in PDF format are available at: English, Chinese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, and Vietnamese