List of approved "Additional Food Safety Training"
You must be renewing a Washington State food worker card that is not expired by more than 30 days or expires within the next 60 days.
A food worker that has obtained "Additional Food Safety Training" within the past two years is eligible to receive a 5-year food worker card when he/she is renewing a card in Washington State.
"Additional Food Safety Training" is defined in Chapter 246-217 of the Washington Administrative Code (WAC) as completion of comprehensive training on food safety of at least four (4) hours in length. Training may include topics such as proper cooking, hot-holding, cold-holding and cooking of potentially hazardous foods; cross-contamination prevention; HACCP; and/or proper hand washing techniques.
Approval of training programs can be obtained from the local health jurisdiction or the state health department (if it impacts more than one county.) Approval of training programs must be obtained in advance, which means food workers cannot simply present proof of an unapproved training course to the person issuing food worker cards and expect to receive a 5-year card.
The training courses currently approved by the Washington State Department of Health are:
Washington State Local Health Departments
- All Washington State local health department manager certification programs
College or University Courses
- Seattle Central Community College, Culinary Arts, Principles of Sanitation Class (HOS110)
Workplace Training Programs
- Costco Manager Training
- Costco Associate Training
- Fred Meyer, Food Safety Certification Class
- Island Market Company, Inc. (doing business as Vashon Thriftway), Food Safety and Sanitation Course
- Town and Country Markets, Food Safety in the Workplace
- United Grocers and Merchants Insurance Service, Managing Food Safety in the Workplace
- Washington Correction Center for Women, Food Service Department, Additional Food Safety Training
Private Associations and Organizations
- Dietary Managers Association (DMA), Food Protection Training Program or Sanitation and Safety Course (resulting in the Certified Food Protection Professional (CFPP) credential)
- Prometric, Food Manager Certification
- HANA Concepts Training
- Learn Associates Training
- National Registry of Food Safety Professionals, Food Protection Manager Certification Program
- NEHA, 2-day Manager Certification Program
- NEHA, 1-day fast-track Manager Certification Program
- NEHA, 1-day Review Program
- ServeSafe Manager Certification
- ServeSafe Employee Certification
- "Serving it Safe" Food Safety Training Program
- TAP Series Food Safety Manager Certification Training
- Washington State University Extension, PIC Food Safety Training