skip to main content

Public Health - Seattle & King County

How to get your food worker card

You can take your class and test either online available 24/7 at any time or in-person every first Friday of the month. Please select your preferred method of training for full instructions:
Questions and answers about food worker cards

1. I lost my food worker card, how do I get a replacement?

Read full instructions on how obtain a replacement permit for a non-expired food worker permit. Replacement permits cost $10. To avoid having to get a replacement in the future, we suggest making at least 3 printouts of your permit if taking the online class and test or 2 photocopies of your original obtained from our in-person classes. Give a copy to your employer, keep a copy in your wallet and another copy at home or somewhere safe to use as a backup in case you lose the one in your wallet.

2. I got my food worker card from another Washington state county but is it valid in King County?

Yes! food worker cards obtained anywhere in Washington state are valid throughout the state. For example, if you got your permit in Skagit County, it is valid in King County and so on. Your food worker card is NOT valid for work in other states and likewise, food worker cards obtained in other states are not valid for work in Washington state due to varying differences in state laws on food safety.

3. How long are food worker cards valid?

  • 2 YEARS: If this is the first time you have gotten a food worker card;
  • 3 YEARS: If your current permit has not been expired for more than 30 days and you bring it or a copy with you;
  • 5 YEARS: If you have a current permit and can show that you have had 4 hours of food safety training that has been approved by the State of Washington. Click here for more information.

4. Are there other places where I can get my food worker card?

Yes, all Washington state counties offer the same class, test and permit. The permit is also valid for work throughout the state. It is not valid in other states. If you are not in King County, please select the county of your residence to learn more about in-class training offered in your area however many are adopting the same online/web-based training option we offer as well:

5. Is there a study guide available?

Yes, the Washington State Dept. of Health offers a Food Worker Manual that you can download in multiple languages.

6. Can I just take the test and get my permit without attending a class?

No. The class, either taken online or in-person, is required prior to taking the test.

7. I have other questions. Who do I contact?

8. How do I find out about updates and changes to the Food Worker Card system?

Sign up for our free email alert system. As a subscriber, you'll get an email alerting you of significant information loaded to the Food Worker Card webpages.