skip to main content

Behavioral Health and Recovery Services

Department of Community and Human Services

Behavioral Health and Recovery Division
Chinook Building
401 Fifth Ave., Suite 400
Seattle, WA 98104

Jim Vollendroff, Dir.
e-mail us
Phone:  206-263-9000
Fax:   206-296-0583
TTY:   711 Relay Service

Employee Directory

Department: Community and Human Services
Adrienne Quinn, Director

For Enrolled Clients

I can't get to my appointments due to a lack of transportation. Can my agency help?

Case managers often help clients with transportation options and learning how to use public transportation. Ask for help from your agency, including how to get connected with Hopelink and/or Access vans.

I only want medication. What can I do?

Although any doctor can prescribe medicine, having a psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse practitioner prescribe medications is often most helpful. You may decide to ask your doctor for a referral to a psychiatrist. King County mental health providers have psychiatrists and psychiatric nurse practitioners that are able to offer a "meds only" treatment approach if it is agreed upon between you and your psychiatric provider.

I am out of my medications. What can I do?

If you are enrolled in a mental health agency, contact your agency and ask to see someone "ASAP". If you have trouble getting an appointment, call Client Services to assist you. If you are not enrolled, call the Crisis Clinic Community Information Line or visit your local hospital emergency department.

I have a complaint about my case manager/provider agency or the agency my friend or family member uses. What can I do?

Call Client Services or the Ombuds Service to get assistance.

How can I get a different case manager/clinician or mental health agency?

You have a right to change case managers or agencies once a year without any explanation of your request. To better serve you, it is often helpful for new case managers or agencies to hear what you were not satisfied with and to clarify what you are looking for in future services. If you want to change more than once a year, you will need to show a need, like moving or having a poor relationship with your current case manager or agency. If you are having difficulties changing providers, contact the Ombuds Service or Client Services for help.

To change to a new agency, call your chosen new agency and ask for a first time appointment. When you change agencies, you will be asked to sign forms that will allow your previous agency to talk with your new agency. Often this is helpful since the new agency can get a better understanding of what you are looking for from services. You have the right to withhold your record and are not required to sign a release of information among providers in order to change agencies.

Who will provide most of my mental health services?

If you have received a psychiatric evaluation and need medications, at minimum, you will see either an Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (A.R.N.P.) or a psychiatrist on a quarterly basis. Talk to your mental health case manager or clinician if you have concerns about medications or would like to discuss side effects or a change in your medication. They will listen to your concerns and likely arrange for you to see your A.R.N.P. or psychiatrist to address your concerns. Most other services will be provided by a mental health case manager or clinician.