Section 8 Available in King County
The Housing Access and Services Program (HASP) is a King County Housing Authority program that helps people with developmental disabilities access Section 8 Vouchers. A Section 8 Voucher allows a person to pay 30 percent of his or her income towards rent and utilities. The King County Housing Authority pays the difference between 30 percent of the tenant’s income and a housing payment standard established by the Department of Housing and Urban Development. To be referred into the HASP program, the applicant must be prepared to be successful at independent or semi-independent living.
To be eligible for the HASP program, the applicant must:
- Be eligible for services through the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS), Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA);
- Be an adult over age 18 and under age 62;
- Have a support system available. This support system may include case management, family, friends, or paid support providers; and
- Meet one of the following federal preference:
- Extremely low-income (gross income is equal or less than 30 percent of the Area Median Income for household size);
- Rent burdened (has paid more than 50 percent of his or her gross monthly income towards rent and utilities for a lease 90 days);
- Homeless; or
- Involuntarily displaced.
For more information about King County Housing Authority’s HASP program contact your DSHS/DDA Case Manager or Interim, KCDDD Interim Housing Coordinator, Katherine Festa at 206-263-9053.