skip to main content

Wastewater Treatment

King County, Washington

For questions about the Wastewater Treatment Division website, please send an e-mail message or contact us at:

King Street Center
201 S. Jackson St., Suite 500
Seattle, WA 98104-3855
Phone: 206-477-5371
Fax: 206-684-1741
Telecommunication device for the deaf (TTY): 711

Get Directions to our office location in Seattle, Washington.

Staff Contacts

Report a problem

trafficCone_65Sewer construction issues

King County's Wastewater Treatment Division is committed to public health and water quality by investing in dozens of vital sewer improvement projects each year. During construction, public involvement staff are available to respond to your concerns (please review list of projects, organized by geographic area, here).

Sewage spill response

Sewage spills are caused most often by clogged or broken pipes belonging to private owners. On rare occasions, problems in the local or county sewer system can result in sewage spills on private property.

sewer_65For overflows occurring from local sewer lines, call your local sewer agency. The phone number for your local agency can be found in your sewer bill.

Metro sewer manhole coverFor overflows occurring in the regional system, (overflows from manholes that say "Metro" on the lid, or near King County pump stations), call the King County Wastewater Treatment Division at

  • 206-263-3801 (in Seattle, Lake Forest Park, Kenmore, Shoreline), or
  • 206-263-1760 (all other areas in the service area)

Sewage spill in houseFor guidance in the event of a sewage spill in your home, refer to the sewage spill response page.

Odor complaintOdor complaints

We make every effort to respond to odor complaints promptly.

General questions for Wastewater Treatment Division staff

You can send email to our general account at
This e-mail account is monitored during business work hours, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. A response is provided within 2-3 business days.

Know what's below. Call 811 before you dig.
'811' One Call
(external link)

Current King County WTD incident responses

Sewage complaint investigations relating to septic systems 

Drainage or water quality problems not related to the King County wastewater system

In the City of Seattle:

  • Contact the 24-hour emergency service line at 206-386-1800

In greater King County:

To report a problem with streams, rivers, lakes, or the Puget Sound,

  • Contact Ecology Northwest Regional Office: 1-425-649-7000 or file a report.

Related information

Alert King County
ALERT King County -- Regional public information and notification service