Barton Street Pump Station upgrade
Completed summer 2015
King County upgraded the aging Barton Street Pump Station to accommodate West Seattle’s growing population and ensure its safe and reliable operation for the next 50 years.
The pump station is an underground facility located next to the Fauntleroy ferry landing in West Seattle. The pump station pumps wastewater to the Murray Avenue Pump Station which then sends flows to the county’s regional treatment plant at West Point in Seattle.
Major changes to pump station
The pump station was first constructed in 1958. The following improvements were made:
- Replaced outdated electrical equipment, pumps, and associated equipment.
- Increased capacity from 22 million gallons per day (mgd) to 33 mgd
- Upgraded heating, ventilation and air conditioning
- Constructed a new underground vault to house a new backup generator system and a new odor control system
- Constructed a new underground valve room and installed new valves for the two 24-inch force mains that were installed as part of a 2006 emergency repair project
24-Hour Emergency and odor reporting: contact West Point Treatment Plant at 206-263-3801.
Interpretive signage (pdf) at the facility.
July 18, 2015 ribbon cutting ceremony and facility tour
Top left: Pam Elardo, Director, Wastewater Treatment Division cuts the ribbon with
Joe McDermott, King County Council Member.
Tour of the Barton Pump Station (underground).
Boat Tie-Up: Depicts Native Americans paddling hard in a traditional canoe
More photos from July 18, 2015 event (flickr page).
New kiosk located next to Barton Street Pump Station.