World No Tobacco Day - May 31, 2012
Did you know that just 20 minutes after your last cigarette, your blood pressure and heart rate recovers from the nicotine spike. After one month, your sense of taste and smell returns and the stains on your fingernails will start to fade. You’ll soon be able to be active with less shortness of breath.
Each year, the World Health Organization proclaims a day in May as World No Tobacco Day to help educate people around the world about the impacts of tobacco use and manipulating tobacco industry advertising. Why not make World No Tobacco Day your time to quit or cut down on tobacco consumption.
King County offers many resources to help you be more successful, at no cost to you. You can enroll in the Quit For Life® Program today, and become one of the millions of people around the world celebrating freedom from tobacco on May 31 as part of World No Tobacco Day. When you enroll, a Quit Coach® will help create an easy-to-follow Quitting Plan individualized with your tobacco use in mind.
If you set your Quit Date for World No Tobacco Day, the last day of May could become your tobacco-free anniversary and a reason to celebrate life for years to come. Imagine – one year later a person’s risk or coronary heart disease is reduced by 50 percent! Learn more about how good quitting is for your body, and what you may experience as you quit in this timeline video.
May might be a good time for you to see if any loved ones need support in their quit attempt – they need to make the choice to quit, but you can be the support they need to keep their quit goals on track.
King County employee resources:
- Free customized support - Quit For Life. Provided by King County for employees and their family members over 18, this program provides a customized plan to help you quit tobacco. Quit For Life is the Nation's most successful tobacco cessation program and is confidential. Receive free nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) mailed directly to your home. Call 1-866-Quit-4-Life (1-866-784-8454) to register.
- Reimbursement for the patch and other nicotine replacement treatment – Both KingCareSM and Group Health offer free or reimbursed over-the-counter drugs such as the patch, gum etc. Go to the Health Matters Quit Tobacco site or call 206-684-1556 for details.
- See your doctor - Group Health and Aetna/KingCareSM members may schedule a visit with their doctor for tobacco cessation help including developing a quit plan and discussing available pharmacological and over-the- counter medications. Your provider can help you determine which quit methods are right for you. Your KingCareSM visit is covered at 100%. Group Health copays apply.
- Washington State Quit Line – 1-800-QUIT-NOW or online at www.quitline.com. The Quit Line provided telephone coaching and an internet-based quit tool. It's free to anyone living in Washington state.
- Public Health - Seattle & King County – call 206-296-7613 for information on community resources and other tools to help you quit.
- American Lung Association - Free online support through Freedom from Smoking. Freedom from Smoking community support groups (7-week sessions) are open to everyone. Find a session near you through the website.
- American Cancer Society – 800-ACS-2345 or online at www.cancer.org.