Prevent the spread of colds and flu
Simple steps can keep us all healthy
Workplaces and other highly populated settings (schools, community centers) are great for helping viruses spread. Take action to reduce your risk of illness and help those around you stay healthy.
- Get a flu vaccine. Seasonal flu vaccines are available for all benefits-eligible employees.
- Wash your hands often. You need to lather for at least 20 seconds (sing happy birthday in your head) to kill germs.
- If you can’t wash your hands, use sanitizing gel.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes in the crook of your elbow. This prevents germs from passing through hand contact.
- Stay home when you’re sick. If you have the flu or flu-like symptoms, stay home for 24 hours after your fever breaks (naturally, not by medication).
- If you share equipment with coworkers (phones, headsets, coffee mugs, kitchen utensils) make sure these are properly washed and sanitized between users. Kitchen utensils should be washed in hot, soapy water. Office equipment can be wiped with disinfecting cleaner.
- Periodically wipe door knobs, hand rails, etc. with disinfecting cleaner.