Skip to main content
King County logo

The Eagles Auditorium at Seventh and Union in downtown Seattle opened in 1925 as the national headquarters (or Aerie #1) of the Fraternal Order of Eagles. It is here where Dr. King addressed an overflowing crowd on November 10, 1961 in the Grand Ballroom during his only visit to Seattle.

The building was designed by local architect and engineer Henry Bittman, and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. One year later it was designated as a Seattle Landmark to recognize its important role in local heritage. Decades of neglect took their toll on the building's cosmetic features, but by 1993 it was judged to be structurally sound and experts determined it could be restored to its former grandeur and used as a public facility.

The restoration by A Contemporary Theatre (ACT) and its partner Housing Resource Group saved and restored the terra cotta exterior of the building and all but one of the interior historic landmark features. Opened as Kreielsheimer Place in September 1996, the building now holds two theatres (the Allen and Falls Theatres), a cabaret, and 44 apartments.

ACT commemorated Dr. King's visit by installing a bronze bust of the civil rights leader in a prominent location near the entrance to the Allen Theatre. Entitled "Speaking Out," the bust is one of a series cast by local sculptor Jeff Day. Day's other likenesses of Dr. King are installed at the University of Washington, Mount Zion Baptist Church, and the State Capitol.

Information for this page was supplied courtesy of ACT

Eagles Auditorium

Kreielsheimer Place, location of historic Eagles Auditorium, Seventh and Union, downtown Seattle. Photo by Chris Bennion courtesy of ACT


Martin Luther King, Jr. Bust
Photos of "Speaking Out," bronze bust of Dr. King cast by local sculptor Jeff Day