Skip to main content
King County logo
Memorial sign

Memorial signs

The King County Memorial Sign Program strives to help reduce roadway fatalities by creating awareness while also honoring those lost as a result of roadway fatalities.

Citizens can sponsor roadside memorial signs. Each sponsorship includes two signs, two plaques, and two posts, together with the installation and maintenance over a maximum period of two years. The cost of the program is $450, paid by the sponsor.

Sponsors select one of six messages listed below for the primary sign. A secondary plaque will display either "In Memory of" together with the loved one's name or "Sponsored by" together with the loved one's name. The signs and plaques may be placed at two locations near the occurrence of the collision, one positioned for each direction of traffic travel. If the collision occurred at an intersection, the signs are located on the major roadway.


To request a memorial sign, please contact us as 206-477-8100 or by email.

Political signs

King County regulates all signs on county-owned property, easements and unincorporated road right-of-way, and unpermitted signs are not allowed in these locations. The county may remove and dispose of any unpermitted signs posted on county-owned property, easements, or road right-of-way.

Political campaign signs may be displayed on private property with the property owner's consent. If signs are posted on private property without permission, property owners can contact the campaign to ask to have the sign removed and advise the campaign about the error so it is not repeated. King County Elections, at 206-296-1565, will have the campaign's telephone number if it is not on the sign. The King County Road Services Division has no authority over signs posted on private property.

To file a formal complaint about damaged or stolen political campaign signs in unincorporated King County, contact the local King County Sheriff's Office precinct or the general number at 206-296-3311. It will be helpful to include such facts as license plate numbers, names, and witnesses to the theft. Do not call 911.

For more information

Traffic crews at work

Radar Readerboard Project

You can help solve speeding problems in your neighborhood. One of the most frequent requests made to the King County Sheriff's Office and Road Services is the need to address speeding along residential streets in unincorporated King County. The Radar/Readerboard Project has been established to help reduce neighborhood speeding. It can help you and your neighbors make your community safer.

How does the Radar Readerboard Project work?

A county vehicle is equipped with an electronic readerboard sign connected to a speed radar unit. The equipment is loaned to a neighborhood after its representative receives brief, special training on its use and a police records check. The equipment is taken to the neighborhood, set up safely along the residential street, and shows passing drivers their speeds as they drive by. Through use of the radar/readerboard equipment, local residents themselves monitor and record the speed of cars, trucks and other vehicles that drive through their neighborhoods.

What does the project accomplish?

In short, this is an effective, inexpensive educational program that helps everyone affected by a neighborhood speeding problem, by:

  • helping speeding motorists become aware of their own violations;
  • making community members more aware of the extent of the speeding problem;
  • helping the police department prioritize their enforcement efforts;
  • helping traffic engineers solve signage, sight distance and other local speed related problems.

The speed of each passing vehicle — whether or not it is speeding — will be recorded on a form that is provided by the county. When the study is complete, the information is presented to the King County Police Traffic Analyst and the Road Services Neighborhood Traffic Safety Coordinator for analysis.

You can help make your street safer

Help make your streets safer by starting a Radar Readerboard project in your neighborhood. There is no charge for this service. It simply involves a little time from two or three concerned residents. To learn more or sign up, contact a King County Sheriff's Office precinct or Road Services using the contact information below.

Traffic safety reports

The King County Department of Transportation produces traffic safety reports annually in an ongoing effort to reduce the number and severity of vehicle accidents on county roadways. The reports tracks collision trends and assesses the effectiveness of safety programs utilized by the county. The reports also detail information that is useful in determining how limited safety funds should be used and steps that can be taken to improve the safety of the traveling public.

Traffic signs

King County's traffic code (Chapter 46.04 King County Code) is based on the Washington Model Traffic Ordinance (Washington Administration Code Chapter 308-330) which is in turn based on the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, or MUTCD developed by the Federal Highway Administration of the U.S. Department of Transportation.

The MUTCD contains standards for traffic control devices that regulate, warn, and guide road users along the highways and byways in all 50 States. Traffic control devices are important because they optimize traffic performance, promote uniformity nationwide, and help improve safety by reducing the number and severity of traffic crashes.

To report damaged traffic signs

In unincorporated King County call 206-477-8100 or 1-800-527-6237. In cities within King County, contact the public works or transportation department.

Related info

King County

Federal Highway Administration

Washington State Department of Transportation

Call us:

206-477-8100 or 1-800-527-6237 (1-800-KC-ROADS)


Send us an email.