Meet TripPool, a demonstration pilot for ridesharing on demand with guaranteed parking at the Mercer Island Park-and-Ride.
Tired of looking for a place to park at the busy Mercer Island Park-and-Ride? Wish you could just leave the car at home and find an easier transit commuter connection to downtown Seattle or other destinations?
Beginning today you can experience something different - a stress-free connection to your bus thanks to the newest addition to King County Metro Transit’s suite of innovative transportation options.
Meet TripPool, a demonstration pilot for ridesharing on demand with guaranteed parking at the Mercer Island Park-and-Ride. Drivers and riders are the stars that make the program work through the use of a free mobile app powered by iCarpool, a local technology vendor.
Here’s how the program works:
- Metro provides participating drivers with a commuter van and free reserved parking at the Mercer Island Park-and-Ride.
- Through the use of the iCarpool app, drivers can post their planned trip before heading out in the morning. Riders can then view the posted trips and notify the driver they’d like to share the ride. Drivers also have the flexibility to make route and stop adjustments based on the rider’s location.
- The process works the same for trips home from the park-and-ride. Riders can view scheduled trips posted by the driver and arrange to share a ride.
- To participate in the TripPool program, riders will need to link their iCarpool and RideshareOnline.com accounts. By doing this, they will be charged a one-zone peak Metro fare of $2.75 for the trip.
- ORCA Card holders have an option to ride free.
Aside from a reserved space at the park-and-ride, TripPool offers other benefits - free gas and maintenance, 24-hour roadside assistance and an emergency ride home.
“TripPool is just one more way Metro is helping riders break free from crowded park-and-ride lots and rigid bus schedules so they can take advantage of more customized travel options,” said Syd Pawlowski, Supervisor of Metro Rideshare Operations. “These services, along with our other ridesharing products, are offering new choices for people to get around.”