In-person class and test
The in-person Food Worker Card class offers materials in English, Spanish, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese, Punjabi, Russian and Vietnamese. There will be no class on any official holidays.
Downtown Seattle -
401 5th Ave
Seattle WA 98104
(corner of 5th and Jefferson)
Room 123: Located on the ground floor. Enter through lobby and head to back of building behind elevator banks unless except where specified below.
Classes are on the following Fridays at 9:30 am – 12:00 Noon (doors close at 9:15 am). Reservations for seats are not necessary. There is enough space for everyone who arrives on time.
- January 6, 2017
- February 3, 2017
- March 3, 2017
- April 7, 2017
- May 5, 2017
- June 2, 2017
- July 14, 2017
- August 18, 2017
- September 8, 2017
- October 13, 2017 (Room 121)
- November 9, 2017 (Room 121)
- December 15, 2017
Parking: If you are planning to drive, metered street parking is available in the area as well as several parking lots south of the building along 5th Ave. A parking garage is located across the street (enter by heading halfway up Jefferson then turn south into the alleyway entrance.) Please note that we do not validate for parking.
To help you understand the concepts taught in the class and later in the exam, download the following materials to study in advance so that you can easily pass the test:
- Food Worker Manual (available in multiple languages by the Washington State Dept. of Health)
- Streaming videos on food safety
- Attention Meat Cutters: If your job requires the cutting of fresh beef, veal, lamb and/or pork within a meat establishment you will need to pass an exam to obtain a personal occupational "Meat Cutter" license in addition to the food worker card exam. See testing dates and locations.
What to bring
- BE ON TIME!
Arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the class time on the schedule to ensure that you have time to register, pay for the class and get a seat – doors close at 9:15 am. Class starts promptly at the time given in the schedule. Late arriving individuals are not allowed in class once it starts and will have to either wait for the next time slot or choose a different day. Pre-registration is not required prior to arriving.
- How long does the class and test last?
The class and test together take about 1-1/2 hours to complete (not including arriving 30 minutes in advance of the class start time.)
- Photo ID required
Such as a driver's license, passport, school ID, etc.
- Bring $10.00 cash (checks and credit/debit cards not accepted) to pay for your Food Worker Card..
- Bring your old card (or a copy)
If you are renewing for a 3 or 5 year card, bring your old card or a copy of it that expired less than 30 days ago, or will expire within the next 60 days.
- Bring proof of training completion
For a 5-year card, bring in proof (certificate or card) that you have completed an approved food safety training class within the last 2 years.
- Bring a friend or relative to help you
There is no minimum age one needs to be to take the class and test however, you must be able to read the book and test, and to write out your registration form. If you need help, it is good to bring a friend or relative that you can trust to help you during the class.
- Alternative language formats:
Training materials and tests are available at the food worker card classes in English, Spanish, Korean, Cantonese, Mandarin, Russian, and Vietnamese. The test is also available in Japanese but sorry no training materials available for this language.
If you need help to understand the class or the test, bring someone you trust, or call us for an interpreter (please allow at least two weeks' advance notice) at 206-263-9566.