How to get a food worker card
You can take your class and test either online available 24/7 at any time or in-person every first Friday of the month. Please select your preferred method of training for full instructions:
Sign up for our free email alert system. As a subscriber, you'll get an email alerting you of significant information loaded to the Food Worker Card webpages.
Share our site at www.kingcounty.gov/foodworker
About food worker cards
- Your lost permit hasn't yet expired. It is required to retake the class and test in full every time your permit expires.
- You took your last class and test using our online training method at www.foodworkercard.wa.gov
You can log back into your account to print off your card but will be charged $10 again using a credit card. Be sure to have a working printer hooked up to enable you to print the card after payment. You have up to 5 days after payment to log back in and print off as many copies as you need free of charge. After 5 days, you will be charged $10 again.
– OR –
- You took your last class and test at the Chinook Building, 401 5th Ave, Seattle.
If the above is true, please arrive 30 minutes in advance of any class start time listed on the current class schedule, show photo ID and pay $10 cash. The class instructor will verify in their records at the class site if you are indeed eligible for a new permit and if so, a new permit will be issued to you with the same expiration date that is on record. You do not need to retake the class and test if your permit has not yet expired.
Note: If records indicate that your permit has expired, you can stay and take the class and test to obtain a new permit or return on a different day/time on the schedule however we do highly recommend obtaining a valid food worker permit immediately or take the class online at www.foodworkercard.wa.gov
How to get a replacement permit if you did not take your class and test at any of the above locations:
- Call our Food Protection Program for assistance at 206-263-9566. If you get voicemail, please leave your name, phone number and where you took your last class.
- If you obtained your last permit in a different Washington state county, you will need to contact the county health department serving that area for assistance.
- Food worker permits obtained in different states and countries are not valid for work in Washington state.
2 YEARS: If this is the first time you have gotten a food worker card
- 3 YEARS: If your current permit has not been expired for more than 30 days.
- 5 YEARS: If you have a current permit and can show that you have had 4 hours of food safety training that has been approved by the State of Washington. Learn more about approved food safety training.
All Washington state counties offer the same class, test and permit. The permit is also valid for work throughout the state. It is not valid in other states. If you are not in King County, please select the health department serving the county where you reside to learn more about in-class training offered in your area however many are adopting the same online/web-based training option we offer as well.
Important: You may discover other websites that appear to offer training and certification to obtain a valid Washington state food worker card. The only online class and test system approved by the Washington State Dept. of Health is located at www.foodworkercard.wa.gov