Medicaid Asthma Home Visit Project
Project period: 2009-2013
This is a grant-funded research project from the Centers for Disease Control. Its purpose is to help children with asthma. The goal of the study is to make the Healthy Homes Model available to all children. The focus of the CDC program is on low-income and minority children. These children are affected on a larger scale by asthma. Key stakeholders are: the clinics referring patients for home visits, health plans that might fund such programs and public health agencies that might provide home visits in the future, researchers who might evaluate the program and low-income families that have a child with asthma.
|Target population||Incentives to participate|
Outcomes and future plans
We expect this research will improve the health of children with asthma. We hope to improve their lives by:
- Increasing days without symptoms and by improving the quality of life for children and their caretakers.
- Showing a new approach to asthma control. This could save money for the state Medicaid program and for other payers of health services.
- Providing a model for improving asthma that could be shared across the state and nationally.
- Stimulating economic activity by creating jobs for community health workers (CHW). The US Department of Labor has recently named CHWs as a distinct occupation. Hiring and using large numbers of CHWs would be a valuable economic stimulus for low income and minority communities.
- Economic activity will also be increased by preventing missed work and school days.
Tools and documents
- Asthma basics
- Colds and asthma
- Communication with provider
- Depression with asthma
- Influenza and flu shots
- Medication adherence
- Peak flow monitoring
- Seeking emergency care
- Unsafe housing
- Using a metered dose inhaler
- Using an action plan
- Warning signs of asthma
- What happens when you call 911
- What to do during an asthma attack
- Assent scripting for children ages 3 through 6
- Assent scripting for children ages 7 through 17
- Authorization and consent for use or disclosure of photography
- HIPAA authorization
- Parent consent form
- Parent consent form/Adolescent assent form
- Asthma triggers
- Good Questions for Your Health
- Stop Germs, Stay Healthy! handwashing posters in multiple languages
- Nebulizer for children and families
- Questions about the flu and flu vaccine
- Using a Peak Flow Meter
- What is Asthma?