Foreclosure auctions and information
New Tax Foreclosure Process
King County Treasury WILL NO LONGER HOLD THE ANNUAL TAX FORECLOSURE AUCTION IN DECEMBER. Beginning with the 2017 foreclosure action, King County will file the Certificate of Delinquency (CoD) in November 2017, and then go to auction in September of the following year (i.e. Parcels included in the Certificate of Delinquency filed in 2017 will go to auction in 2018).
Exception: The CoD pertaining to the 2016 foreclosure action was filed in August 2016. Our 2016 tax foreclosure auction has been delayed until September 13th, 2017.
Is your property subject to foreclosure?
- The 2016 Tax Foreclosure auction will begin online on September 13, 2017; this action includes parcels with taxes delinquent from 1st half 2013 and prior years.
- The 2017 CoD will be filed in November of 2017. Parcels with ANY amount due for 2014 and prior will be included. The 2017 Tax Foreclosure auction will be held in September of 2018.
- The 2018 CoD will be filed in November of 2018 on parcels with ANY amount due for 2015; the 2018 auction will be held in September of 2019.
- This schedule is expected to be followed going forward.
- Payment of the taxes, fees, interest and penalties due for the year subject to foreclosure must be received by October 31st to avoid being included in that years’ foreclosure action and incurring additional costs.
King County parcels and “Terms of Sale” will be posted at www.Bid4Assets.com no later than early August of each year.
Washington State is NOT a tax lien state. We don’t sell the lien; we auction the parcel.
Properties in foreclosure can ONLY be purchased at the annual public auction; sales in advance of the auction are prohibited by statute.
KING COUNTY TREASURY HAS NO INFORMATION REGARDING THE MORTGAGE COMPANY AND LIENHOLDER AUCTIONS OR SHERIFF’S SALES HELD IN FRONT OF THE KING COUNTY ADMINISTRATION BUILDING ON FRIDAY MORNINGS. A “Notice of Trustee’s Sale” should be filed for these auctions and will be available at the King County Recorder’s Office. They can be reached at 206-477-6620, or you can search filed documents online by clicking here.
FOR QUESTIONS REGARDING SURPLUS FUNDS GENERATED BY THESE SALES, PLEASE CONTACT THE KING COUNTY SUPERIOR COURT ACCOUNTING SECTION AT 206-477-0812