Vision and strategic plan
With more than five years of successful vote-by-mail experience, King County Elections (KCE) continues to innovate, identify and implement efficiencies and successfully administer elections in the country’s largest vote-by-mail county. At the same time, the department serves a county facing many challenges and opportunities. King County’s population, now 1.9 million, continues to grow and become more diverse. Increasing numbers of voting-age people speak languages other than English, with more than 170 different languages spoken in King County. Home to a number of world-renowned technology corporations, citizens in King County increasingly look for government information and services to keep pace with private sector services and make them available online. To ensure that King County Elections continues to address the needs of the citizens we serve, given the dynamic environment we operate within, we developed a five-year department strategic plan that functions in concert with the overarching King County strategic plan.
- Environmental Sustainability: Safeguard and enhance the environment by minimizing our operational environmental footprint.
- Financial Stewardship: Exercise sound financial management to address our future operational needs.
- Health and Human Potential: Support individuals and communities to influence their present and shape their future.
- Public Engagement: Provide comprehensive public engagement to inform, educate and involve people and communities.
- Justice and Safety: Provide fair and accessible voting opportunities for all citizens.
- Quality Workforce: Develop and empower our most valuable asset, our employees.
- Service Excellence: Deliver effective services that are responsive to community needs.
View the 19 SMART goals and 34 supporting strategies that have been placed on a timeline, assigning a starting point for each strategy.