Barton Street Pump Station upgrade
Completed – Summer 2015
King County upgraded the aging Barton Street Pump Station to accommodate West Seattle’s growing population and ensure its safe and reliable operation for the next 50 years.
The pump station is an underground facility located next to the Fauntleroy ferry landing in West Seattle. The pump station pumps wastewater to the Murray Avenue Pump Station which then sends flows to the county’s regional treatment plant at West Point in Seattle.
Major changes to pump station
The pump station was first constructed in 1958. The following improvements were made:
- Replaced outdated electrical equipment, pumps, and associated equipment.
- Increased capacity from 22 million gallons per day (mgd) to 33 mgd
- Upgraded heating, ventilation and air conditioning
- Constructed a new underground vault to house a new backup generator system and a new odor control system
- Constructed a new underground valve room and installed new valves for the two 24-inch force mains that were installed as part of a 2006 emergency repair project
Interpretive signage at the facility
July 18, 2015 ribbon cutting ceremony and facility tour
Pam Elardo, Director, Wastewater Treatment Division cuts the ribbon with Joe McDermott, King County Council Member.
Tour of the Barton Pump Station (underground)
Boat tie-up: depicts Native Americans paddling hard in a traditional canoe
New kiosk located next to Barton Street Pump Station
View more photos on our Flickr site .
24-hour emergency and odor reporting:
Contact West Point Treatment Plant at 206-263-3801.
Stream on – Barton Pump Station grand opening , July 28, 2015
Learn how King County WTD creates safe underground work environments using a technique known as sheet pile
driving . During the winter and spring of 2013, King County used a vibratory hammer to install sheet piles, a technique which works well in tight spaces with minimal impacts on nearby neighbors and the environment.
Notice of action and decision to proceed , issued April 4, 2011
DNS and environmental checklist ( , 1.2MB), issued June 1, 2010