Judge Cheryl B. Carey
c/o King County Superior Court
401 4th Ave. N, Room 2D
Kent, WA 98032
Courtroom Number: 3F
Bailiff: Jennifer McBeth
Assignment: Civil and Criminal
- Visit this webpage before contacting the court.
- Read the Superior Court Email Policy.
- Get instructions for Delivering Documents.
- Get instructions for Scheduling Civil Motions.
- Review these Trial Preparation guidelines.
- Please review the applicable State Court Rules and Local Court Rules before contacting the court.
Dispositive motions are heard on Fridays. Please email the bailiff with your hearing request. If you do not have access to email, please call the phone number above. Judge Carey requires that you check with opposing counsel before scheduling any hearing in order to make sure that the date works for all counsel. Doing so reduces the need to reschedule hearings due to conflicts.
Any request for a dispositive motion hearing must include the following:
- Case name and cause number
- Names, phone numbers and email addresses of all counsel/parties
- Type of hearing and date(s) requested
The Court typically allots one hour for dispositive motions. Additional time may be provided on hearings involving multiple parties or complex motions. Please advise the bailiff of your request for additional time when scheduling.
Most motions do not require oral argument under the Civil or Local Rules. If a party would like to request oral argument, the motion should be noted pursuant to the applicable court rules, simply noting in the upper right hand corner of the working papers “Oral Argument Requested.” If, after reviewing all briefing, the Court determines oral argument is appropriate, the bailiff will contact the parties and set a mutually acceptable time for oral argument.
Digitally Recorded Courtroom
The court proceedings in Department 2 are recorded by FTR Gold equipment which digitally records all proceedings. Click HERE for information on obtaining a CD copy of your hearing from the Clerk's Office. If the parties are requesting a court reporter for a hearing/trial, please notify the bailiff.