skip to main content

Marriage licensing

Records and Licensing Services Division

Marriage Licensing
King County Administration Building
500 Fourth Ave., Suite 430
Seattle, WA 98104
Fax 206-205-8396

Customer Service Hours
Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm

Frequently Asked Questions about Marriage Licensing

My spouse-to-be is in another location. Can I bring in his/her faxed, notarized affidavit?

No, a faxed application or affidavit will not be accepted to apply for a marriage license. It must be the original, signed and notarized document for it to be accepted.

We aren't both able to come in to apply for our marriage license. What can we do?

Download the marriage license application form (PDF). The party/parties who cannot apply in person must complete their affidavit in front of a notary public. The original application is forwarded to the affiant who can apply in person, or, if both parties are unable to appear, it is forwarded to a third party who can apply for the marriage license on their behalf.

We lost our marriage license forms, or they were destroyed. What can we do?

If you lost or destroyed the forms before the wedding took place, one of the parties to the marriage must return to one of our licensing sites, complete an Affidavit of Loss, and pay $1 to replace each form lost or destroyed.

I need to get a Single Status form to marry in another country. Can you direct me? Does Washington State require a Single Status or No Impediment form?

Washington State does not require submittal of a Single Status or No Impediment form. If you are getting married in a location that requires proof that you are not already married, use this link for more information: Single Status or No Impediment.

Does Washington State allow same-sex marriages?


We have a domestic partnership registered with Washington State that was automatically converted into a legal marriage on June 30, 2014. Where can we get a copy of our marriage certificate?

Please contact the state Department of Health to obtain your marriage certificate. Certificates for converted domestic partnerships are not available through the King County Recorder's Office.

We are a same-sex couple that got legally married in another state that allows same-sex marriage. Do we need to re-apply in Washington State?

No. Washington State recognizes same-sex marriages performed in other states where they are legal.

We got our license. Are we married?

No, simply applying for and obtaining a marriage license does not make you married. A wedding ceremony must take place. The parties must assent or declare, in the physical presence of the officiant solemnizing the marriage and at least two attending witnesses, that they take each other to be spouses.

We got married but didn't have a license. Are we married?

No, under Washington State law, that wedding will not be recognized as legal or official for civil purposes. You will need to purchase a marriage license and have another ceremony within the validity dates of the license, and for civil purposes this date will be your official wedding date.

We were married in another state or country. Do we need to get married again in Washington State? How do we prove we are legally married?

Use this link for more information: Getting Married in Another State or Country.

We must get married prior to the date our license becomes valid. Can we do that?

Under no circumstances does Washington State law allow for the validity dates to be waived; however, validity does include the first and last dates listed on the marriage license.

We'd really like to have my uncle perform our wedding ceremony. What can we do?

Check Who Can Officiate (Perform) the Wedding Ceremony. As long as the friend or relative meets those criteria, they can officiate without any further registration with King County or the State of Washington.

I have a friend who is a judge from another state and wants to perform my marriage ceremony. Is it legal for judges of another state to officiate weddings in Washington State?

RCW 26.04.050 states who may solemnize a marriage. While it lists a variety of judges and clergy, it does not state that they must be judges or clergy from Washington State.

What do we do with the forms we got when we applied for the marriage license?

It is the responsibility of the officiant, not the couple, to assure that the marriage license forms are prepared, completed, signed, and distributed within 30 days of the wedding. The following link advises officiants how to prepare, complete, and distribute forms after the wedding: Preparing and Distributing the Marriage License Forms.

We'd like my child to be one of our witnesses, but they are under 18. Can we do that?

State law does not specify the age of witnesses; however, the persons are witnessing a civil contract. As such, a witness is deemed "competent" for this purpose usually at the age of 18. If applicants wish to have persons under the age of 18 witness the ceremony, we recommend they have two other witnesses, who are over 18, also observe the exchange of vows and sign the marriage certificates. More than two witnesses may sign the certificates.

My spouse intends to change their name after we are married. How do we do that?

In most cases, providing a certified copy of your marriage license is enough. However, you should check with each agency for its requirements to change your records. If an agency requires more than a certified copy of your marriage license, check with King County District Court for details on a court-ordered name change.
If you need to obtain certified copies of your marriage license, please see Obtaining Certified Copies of the Marriage Certificate.

Our marriage certificate was lost or has not been recorded. What can we do?

If the Washington State Department of Health Certificate of Marriage is not recorded with King County within 30 days of the wedding, the couple should first confirm with their wedding officiant that the form was mailed back to King County after the ceremony. If it was returned, contact the King County Recorder's Office for a further check and directions on how to proceed. The Recorder's Office can be reached at or 206-477-6620.

The country we are going to live in requires that an Apostille be affixed to our wedding certificate. How do we get one?

Please visit the Washington Secretary of State's website to learn about Apostilles (external link).

How do we obtain copies of older marriage records?

You can search for and locate all marriage certificates (for years 1855-1989) and marriage returns (for years 1891-1947) at the Washington State Digital Archives (external link). For additional help in locating marriages not in the index, or other types of marriage records, please contact the King County Archives.

I have a question that wasn't answered here. Who can I contact?

For complete, automated information on marriage licensing in King County, including the locations where you can apply, schedules, addresses, and driving directions, call 206-296-3933.

To speak with a marriage licensing staff member, call the downtown Seattle Marriage License Office, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday (except holidays) at 206-477-6620.

Please send email inquiries to

Related links

Social Security or 1-800-772-1213

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration or (206) 553-5956

King County District Court Name Change Process

Annulment of Marriage

Filing for Divorce



The contents of this webpage are not intended as a comprehensive digest on marriage licensing and should not be construed as legal interpretation of the law or advice. If you have any questions or concerns about your legal rights or obligations with regard to marriage, you are encouraged to seek the advice of an attorney.