King County Marriage Licensing
Marriage licensing is a function of the King County Recorder's Office.
Note: The Recorder's Office has moved to Suite 430 in the King County Administration Building, 500 Fourth Ave., Seattle
- A Washington State marriage license is valid in Washington State only.
- The application fee is $64. Cash and personal checks (with ID) are accepted; no credit or debit cards.
- There is a three-day waiting period before the marriage can take place.
- A marriage license is valid for 60 days.
- A blood test or physical exam is not required in Washington State.
- Same-sex couples are eligible to apply for a Washington State marriage license.
- Mailed applications may be notarized and returned for processing, but the original application must be submitted along with the $64 fee, payable by personal check, money order, or cashier's check in U.S. funds.
- For more information, click on the links below or contact the Recorder's Office at 206-477-6620.
Applying for a Marriage License
Certified Copies of Marriage Records
Name Change after Marriage