Opportunities for Growth:
Career advancement progression opportunities for Corrections Officers are:
- Corrections Sergeant oversees unit operations, e.g., Intake, Transfer, and Release (booking), housing units, and special investigations.
- Captain (Shift Commander) oversees shift operations.
- Division Major oversees daily operations for the Adult Divisions.
- Facility Commander oversees the operation of the assigned facility.
- Deputy Director supervises staff from the Juvenile Division and both Adult Divisions, as well as the Training Unit.
- Director is accountable to the King County Executive for the entire department and is the appointing authority for staff.
Opportunities for Corrections Officers in the King County Jail:
- Criminal Investigations performs background checks on all new staff, contractors, and volunteers; investigates crimes committed in the jail.
- Staff Development and Training coordinates training for all new staff and follow-up training to keep up with current trends and laws.
- Field Training Officer provides on-the-job training.
- Washington State Criminal Justice Center Training Officer partners with other training officers at the Academy in Burien.
- Instructor provides specialty training at new employee orientation and subsequent training to keep up with current trends and laws such as defensive tactics, firearm, and first aid.
- Recruiter/Public Relations works at job fairs and colleges to attract candidates.
- Court Detail escorts and transports inmates to and from court, hospitals, and other correctional facilities.
Other positions available in the King County Jail:
- Community Corrections includes Work Education Release, Electronic Home Detention, Work Crews, etc.
- Personal Recognizance Screeners interviews inmates to ascertain if they are appropriate for release on their own recognizance.
- Corrections Program Specialists interviews inmates to determine appropriate classification for housing purposes.