Ex Parte & Probate Department
Please Note: King County Superior Court requires that certain ex parte matters be presented through the Clerk’s Office in writing, without oral argument. Please review the Ex Parte Motions and Hearings Manual, available on the Clerk’s Office Website, for specific information on related procedures.
Ex Parte: A special department of Superior Court assigned responsibility under Local Rules for certain short matters and emergency or unopposed orders.
|King County Courthouse (Seattle)
516 3rd Ave., Mail Stop C-203
Seattle, WA 98104
|Regional Justice Center (Kent)
401 Fourth Ave. N, Mail Stop RJC-SC-0203
Kent, WA 98032
Monday thru Friday:
9:00am - noon
1:30pm - 4:15pm
||9:00am and 1:30pm
||9:00am - 12:00pm and 1:30 - 3:45
Types of cases and proceedings that may be heard in Ex Parte (civil and family law actions):
- Vulnerable Adult Protection Orders
- Evictions/Unlawful Detainer actions
- Guardianships and Trusts
- Minor or Incapacitated Adult Settlements
- Orders setting hearings
- Requests for emergency temporary domestic violence, anti-harassment, and sexual assault protection orders.
- Requests for emergency temporary restraining orders, obtain a return/injunction hearing date and time from assigned judge's bailiff or if no assigned judge, from Chief Civil before presenting the TRO to Ex Parte.
- Most types of agreed and default orders, except as provided otherwise by rule.
- Those orders that may be presented without notice and a hearing such as agreed orders, default orders, and orders to schedule a hearing, may be presented on a walk-in basis to either court (Seattle or Kent) or upon payment of a fee through the clerk's mail-in process.
- Those matters that require notice to another party and all matters listed under Local Rule 98.16; 98.04 and 98.20 to be scheduled for hearing must be presented in person, except motions for reconsideration or except as the court orders otherwise. See the King County Local Rules for further information.
Useful Links and Forms:
Family Law Forms
Title 26 Family Law GAL Registry
Guardianship/Family Law Facilitators
Ex Parte Forms - Note for Motion Docket - Seattle
Ex Parte Forms - Note for Motion Docket - Kent
King County Superior Court Local Rules