skip to main content

King County Superior Court

King County’s General Jurisdiction Trial Court

Ex Parte & Probate Department

Ex Parte: A special department of Superior Court assigned responsibility under Local Rules for certain short matters and emergency or unopposed orders.

Please Note: King County Superior Court requires that certain ex parte matters be presented through the Clerk’s Office in writing, without oral argument. Please review the Ex Parte Motions and Hearings Manual, available on the Clerk’s Office Website, for specific information on related procedures.

Inquiries regarding Ex Parte via the Clerk can be directed to: 206-477-0848 (Seattle) or 206-477-3047 (Kent). Additional information may be found online at:


King County Courthouse (Seattle)
Courtroom W-325
516 3rd Ave., Mail Stop KCC-SC-0203
Seattle, WA 98104
(206) 477-2517
Regional Justice Center (Kent)
Courtroom 1J
401 Fourth Ave. N, Mail Stop RJC-SC-0203
Kent, WA 98032
(206) 477-2517


Monday thru Friday:
9:00am - noon
1:30pm - 4:15pm

Calendar Schedules:

Evictions 9:00am
Motions 9:00am
Guardianships/Probate 10:30am
Adoptions (Seattle) 9:00am and 1:30pm
Adoptions (Kent) 1:30pm
Non-Attorney Dissolutions 1:30pm
Walk-Ins 9:00am - 12:00pm and 1:30-3:45pm

Frequently Asked Questions:

  • What types of cases and proceedings are heard in Ex Parte (civil and family law actions)?
    • Vulnerable Adult Protection Orders 
    • Evictions/Unlawful Detainer actions
    • Guardianships and Trusts
    • Minor or Incapacitated Adult Settlements
    • Probate/trusts
    • Orders setting hearings
    • Requests for emergency temporary domestic violence, anti-harassment, and sexual assault protection orders.
    • Requests for emergency temporary restraining orders, obtain a return/injunction hearing date and time from assigned judge's bailiff or if no assigned judge, from Chief Civil before presenting the TRO to Ex Parte.
    • Adoptions
    • Most types of agreed and default orders, except as provided otherwise by rule. Those orders that may be presented without notice and a hearing such as agreed orders, default orders, and orders to schedule a hearing, may be presented on a walk-in basis to either court (Seattle or Kent) or upon payment of a fee through the clerk's mail-in process.
    • Those matters that require notice to another party and all matters listed under Local Rule 98.16; 98.04 and 98.20 to be scheduled for hearing must be presented in person, except motions for reconsideration or except as the court orders otherwise. See the King County Local Rules for further information.
  • How do I strike my hearing?

If you are the moving party and are striking a motion, please call or email the Ex Parte Coordinator (206-477-2517 or and provide the cause number, case name, date and time of hearing, and whether you are re-noting the matter and would like working papers to be moved. Please note, the matter will still appear on the Court Calendar and it is the striking party’s responsibility to notify the other parties.

  • How do I request to appear by phone for my hearing?

Call or email the Ex Parte Coordinator (206-477-2517 or and provide the cause number, case name, date and time of hearing, the name and phone number of the requesting party, and a brief reason for the request.

  • How do I submit working papers for my hearing?

You may submit working copies electronically through the Clerk's Office e-filing application, deliver them to the judge’s mailroom, or deliver them directly to the Ex Parte Department.

  • Where can I find resources for Probate matters?

Links to forms, procedures, local rules and lawyer referral services can be found online at:

  • When are the Guardianship Delinquency and Probate Review Calendars?

The Guardianship Delinquency and Probate Review Calendars are heard:

  • Seattle: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 1:30 PM in Courtroom W-325, Courtroom 1
  • Kent: Wednesdays at 1:30 PM in Courtroom 1J
  • What do I do if I am on the Guardianship Delinquency and Probate Review Calendar?

Guardians are strongly encouraged to use the form templates and instructions provided by the King County Superior Court. Guardianship forms should be completed in their entirety prior to your hearing. Incomplete forms will cause delays and may possibly result in the need to reschedule your hearing.

You may also be able to complete the required steps without attending the scheduled hearing.

Contact the Ex Parte Department Coordinator at (206) 477-2517 or by sending an email to for more information about the Guardianship Delinquency and Probate Review Calendar.

Useful Links:

Court Rules
King County Local Court Rules
State of Washington Court Rules

Court Forms
King County Court Forms
State of Washington Court Forms
Guardianship Instructions and Forms
Minor Settlement Forms
Trust Forms

Guardian ad Litem Information

Title 26 Family Law GAL Registry
GAL Policy
GAL Complaint / Grievance Form

Legal Assistance
Legal Assistance - Free or Reduced-Cost
General Legal Assistance
Landlord-Tenant Assistance 
Family Law / Domestic Violence Assistance
Self-Help Services
Bilingual Legal Assistance

Information for Parties without an Attorney
Family Law Facilitator Program 
Settlement Conference Program 
King County Department of Public Defense
Protection Order Information