What You Need To Bring...
State Department requirements change from time to time. For the most up-to-date information, please refer to the Department of State website at http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html (external link)
All persons not eligible to apply by mail must appear in person. This includes all minors. For minors under 16, please refer to the state department website for special requirements.
In order to file an application for a passport, you will need to bring the following items with you:
1. A certified copy of your birth certificate or old passport. Children under 16 must always submit a certified copy of their birth certificate.
2. Picture identification (Driver's License, ID card, Student ID card, Temporary ID, etc.) and an easy to read photocopy of the front and back of the identification (on one page) that matches the identification you are submitting to obtain your passport.
3. Two passport identical photographs that match the photo on the identification submitted, sized 2 inches by 2 inches only. Pictures must have been taken within the past 6 months. The background must be white or off-white. For information regarding digital photographs, please refer to the State Department website.
4. A check or money order made payable to "Department of State" in one of the following amounts for first time applicants:
- Adult Passport Book $110
- Adult Passport Card $30
- Adult Passport Book & Card $140
- Minor Passport Book $80
- Minor Passport Card $15
- Minor Passport Book & Card $95
5. Cash or money order in the amount of $25 per application for the service fee. The court does not accept credit card payments.
6. For renewals, please refer to the Department of State website at http://travel.state.gov/passport/renew/renew_833.html (external link)
Processing time for regular filing for passports varies. For current processing times, please visit the Department of State processing website at http://travel.state.gov/passport/processing/processing_1740.html (external site). You may, however, pay an additional $60 for expedited processing. Processing times also vary for expedited processing so check the link above for the most current information regarding passport processing times.
After you have applied...
To check the status of your passport application, click here (external link)
Passport Acceptance Service
Passport acceptance hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The Court receives a fee for each application processed. Passport applications are accepted in the following locations: Bellevue, Burien, Issaquah, Redmond, Seattle and Shoreline.