2016 King County Comprehensive Plan
On March 1, the King County Executive transmitted to the King County Council the proposed 2016 King County Comprehensive Plan as Proposed Ordinance 2016-0155 . The 2016 Comprehensive Plan will be the fifth major update to the plan, which occurs once every four years.
Council review of the transmitted 2016 Comprehensive Plan thus far has included eight preliminary briefings in the Transportation, Economy and Environment Committee, as well as numerous opportunities to submit written or verbal public comment. Three follow-up committee briefings are scheduled during the months of August and September, leading up to possible action in the committee on September 20 and possible final adoption at the full Council in late 2016.
Public comment opportunities
The following is the current schedule of opportunities for public comment on the proposed 2016 Comprehensive Plan. This schedule is subject to change and any updates will be shared publicly.
- The Transportation, Economy and Environment Committee has held a series of briefings on the proposed plan throughout the spring and summer of 2016, with numerous opportunities to submit written or verbal public comment.
- The Committee of the Whole held a special night meeting on the evening of April 6, where public comment on the 2016 Comprehensive Plan was taken.
- Three follow-up committee briefings are scheduled during the months of August and September, with the opportunity for public comment on the proposed plan during each committee meeting.
- A formal public hearing before the full King County Council will be held in late 2016 prior to final adoption of the plan.
- Residents are also able to submit written testimony on the proposed plan online.
Stay up to date on 2016 Comprehensive Plan news, schedules, and committee agendas by signing up for the Council’s Comprehensive Plan email list.
Actions to date
Development of the Executive’s proposed 2016 Comprehensive Plan was informed by a Scoping Motion that the King County Council adopted in May 2015. After many months of work over the course of 2015, the Executive then issued a Public Review Draft of the proposed 2016 Comprehensive Plan in November 2015, which was open for public comment through January 2016. The Council’s Transportation, Economy and Environment Committee held a briefing on the Public Review Draft on December 1, 2015.
About the King County Comprehensive Plan
The King County Comprehensive Plan is the guiding policy document for land use and development regulations in unincorporated King County, and for regional services throughout the County including transit, sewers, parks, trails, and open space.
The King County Code (K.C.C. 20.18.030) allows for updates to the Comprehensive Plan on either an annual or a once-every-four-years basis, depending on the scope of the change. The annual cycle allows for minor changes, technical corrections, and land use changes that do not amend the Urban Growth Area. The “four-year cycle” update is considered a major update to the plan and, unlike annual updates, allows for consideration of substantive policy changes and potential revisions to the Urban Growth Area.
The current plan is the 2012 Comprehensive Plan, which was adopted by the King County Council on December 3, 2012, and was updated in 2013 and 2014. The 2012 Comprehensive Plan was the fourth major update to the King County Comprehensive Plan.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
If you have questions about the Council’s 2016 Comprehensive Plan process, please email CouncilCompPlan@kingcounty.gov.