skip to main content

Business license services in King County

Department of Permitting and Environmental Services (DPER)

The Permitting Department 
35030 SE Douglas St., Ste. 210
Snoqualmie, WA 98065

Phone:  206-296-6600
TTY:  206-296-7217

Business complaints/inquiry

King County issues business licenses for businesses engaged in a regulated activity within unincorporated King County, meaning the areas outside the city limits of any city or town. See regulated business activity and types of business licenses for more information.

You may contact the Permitting Department at 206-296-6600 to inquire if a regulated business for which the the Permitting Department issues a license has obtained a King County license or if a County license is required. Contact the King County Records and Licensing Services Division at 206-296-2710 for questions about businesses they issue licenses for.

While the business about which you wish to inquire might not require a King County license, all businesses operating in Washington State are required to obtain a Washington State business license*. To inquire if a business is licensed by the State, please call the State Department of Revenue at 1-800-647-7706 or go online to*.

Additionally, any business operating within the city limits of any city in King County may be required to have a city business license. For businesses operating in Seattle*, call 206-684-8484. For businesses in Bellevue*, call 425-452-6851. For other cities, please consult your telephone directory.

If you have a complaint about a business, you can contact the Better Business Bureau* at 206-431-2222 and also the Consumer Protection* division of the Washington State Attorney General's Office* at 206-464-6684 or 1-800-551-4636*.

If you have a complaint about the operation of an illegal business, violations of the King County Zoning Code, or irresponsible or hazardous development within unincorporated King County, please contact the Permitting Department's Code Enforcement. You can file a complaint online or reach Code Enforcement at 206-296-6680.

*external link