Skip to main content
King County logo

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) can help you save an average of 30% on certain medical care and dependent care expenses by using pre-tax dollars. FSAs are administered for King County by WageWorks and are convenient and easy to use. You choose how much to put into your FSAs—up to a yearly maximum of $2,550 ($2,600 in 2018) for health care, and $5,000 for dependent care for joint tax filers ($2,500 if married and filing separately).

To participate in an FSA, enroll during Open Enrollment. FSAs do not continue automatically—you must re-enroll each year during Open Enrollment. You may also enroll within 30 days of becoming benefits-eligible or a qualifying life event using the enrollment form in the FSA Guide. The election you make when you enroll in an FSA remains in effect for the entire calendar year, however, if you experience a qualifying life event, you can make a change using the FSA Change Form

Health Care FSA

With a Health Care flexible Spending Account (FSA), you set aside pretax dollars from your paycheck into an account that you can use to pay for qualifying medical expenses. You can use your FSA funds to pay for a variety of medical, dental, and vision care expenses for you, your spouse or domestic partner, and your dependents—for example, deductibles, coinsurance and copays. The IRS determines which expenses are eligible for reimbursement. Go to the WageWorks site to view the List of Eligible Health Care Expenses.

Dependent Care FSA

You can set aside pretax dollars into your Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) to pay for a wide variety of services for your child, disabled spouse, or dependent parent while you and your spouse work. Some common eligible expenses include child and adult day care, preschool, and before- and after-school care. Go to the WageWorks site to view the List of Eligible Dependent Care Expenses.

Paying for expenses and getting reimbursed

As you incur eligible expenses, you submit reimbursement claim forms, receipts, and other required documentation using the WageWorks Web Portal. You can also use the EZ Receipts™ app from your mobile device. You can be reimbursed by check or direct deposit. To set up FSA automatic deposits, go to your WageWorks account profile and select your reimbursement method.

You can use the preloaded WageWorks Health Care Debit Card to pay for eligible health care expenses. For details, see the health care Claim & Card Use Verification Documentation Checklist.

You must use your FSA money for expenses incurred during the plan year, however, you have until March 31 of the following year to submit claims. At the end of the plan year, if need be, up to $500 of remaining funds will be transferred into the following year’s FSA account. Any additional funds are forfeited.

Forms and Resources

Review your Summary Plan Description for detailed FSA plan information. In addition, use the following resources:

FSA Guide and Enrollment Form

Dependent Care FSA Claim Form

Health Care FSA Claim Form

WageWorks Support Center

WageWorks QuickStart Guide

FSA Change Form

Letter of Medical Necessity


  • Phone: 855-428-0446     
  • Fax: 855-291-0625           
  • Web: WageWorks

Claims: WageWorks Claims, P.O. Box 14326, Lexington, KY 40512

Benefits and retirement

Phone 206-684-1556
Fax: 206-296-7700

Phone hours:
9 a.m. – 4 p.m. weekdays

Fax: 206-296-7678