Benefit enrollment & changes
You can enroll in or make changes to your benefits when you first become eligible, during the annual Open Enrollment, or after a qualifying life event.
New Employee Enrollment
New employees receive enrollment information during orientation have 30 days from their hire date to enroll in benefits. Look for more information in the New Employee page.
Employees have a chance every year to make new choices for most benefits. Open Enrollment takes place Nov. 1–15 and any changes go into effect on the first of the following year and remain in effect for the entire plan year. For details, go to the Open Enrollment page.
Mid-year changes after Qualifying Life Events
You can discontinue health coverage for a dependent at any time. You can make the following changes mid-year if you experience a qualifying life event, such as marriage/divorce, gain/loss of coverage, birth/adoption:
- Change medical plans
- Add a dependent
- Opt back into health coverage
Use the Qualifying Life Event form to request changes related to the event within 30 days of the qualifying event.
Qualifying life events:
- Getting married or divorced
- Establishing or ending a domestic partnership
- Becoming a parent
- Taking a leave of absence
- Becoming disabled
- Leaving King County employment
- A death in the family
- A change in coverage under another employer plan
- Adult Child Enrollment
- Affidavit of Domestic Partnership
- Benefit Access Fee Discontinue
- Dependent Discontinue Coverage
- Dependent Enrollment
- Dependent Enrollment: Required Documentation List
- Disabled Adult Child Continue Coverage
- Flexible Spending Account Change
- Flexible Spending Account Enrollment
- Flexible Spending Account Letter of Medical Necessity
- Life and AD&D Insurance Change
- Life Insurance Change Beneficiary
- Personal Information Update