skip to main content

Prosecuting Attorney's Office

Daniel T. Satterberg

King County Prosecuting Attorney's Office
King County Courthouse, Room W554
516 Third Avenue
Seattle, WA 98104-2362
(206) 296-9000

 

King County Prosecuting Attorney

mastheadjuly  coinlogo   coinlogoking
  
Daily Docket Updated:  1:55  p.m.  October 16

Arraignment for Defendant in Fatal Shooting at 2nd and Yesler: A 19-year-old man was arraigned this morning and entered a not guilty plea to a charge of Murder in the First Degree in connection with a fatal shooting on September 24 at 2nd and Yesler in Seattle. The defendant, Kenneth Bernard Jones Jr., allegedly shot the victim, Melvin Dees, and then fled the scene. The defendant remains in jail with bail set at $2 million. A case setting hearing is scheduled for November 20 at 1 p.m. in courtroom 1201 of the King County Courthouse.

October 10:

Sentencing for Defendants in 2013 Kirkland Home Invasion Attack: Two men were sentenced this afternoon to just over 25 years in prison for a home invasion attack at a Kirkland residence in October 2013. The defendants, Vincent Sisounong, 22, and Blessing Gainey, 20, each pled guilty last month as charged to Attempted Murder in the First Degree and Burglary in the First Degree, with deadly weapon enhancements, for randomly breaking into a Kirkland residence and attacking an 18-year-old man who was staying at his family’s home. The defendants were armed with knives when they threatened to kill the victim and then stabbed him in the legs, shoulder and head. Sisounong told detectives that he and Gainey broke into the home of complete strangers with the intent to kill. Sisounong said he wanted the victim to “fight for his life.” They each faced a sentence range of 20 to 25 ½ years in prison. Prosecutors recommended a top of the range sentence for both. Today’s sentencing was before Judge Jean Rietschel at the King County Courthouse. Senior Deputy Prosecutor Alex Voorhees and Deputy Prosecutor Jessica Manca handled the case and were assisted by paralegal Jill Carter. Detectives Adam Haas and Derek Hill of the Kirkland Police Department investigated the case.
                                 

 

Kent Car Show Shooting
Case Wrap Up: All Seven Defendants Convicted

The last two remaining defendants charged in a July 23, 2011 shootout at an unauthorized car show and rap concert in Kent have pleaded guilty. The King County Prosecutor’s Office (PAO) charged a total of seven defendants in the Kent car show shootout that left 12 people wounded. A 13th person was wounded in a subsequent drive-by shooting later that evening in an apparent act of retaliation. All seven have now been convicted.

Norm Maleng Regional Justice CenterThe defendants are identified members of the Playboy-Surenos street gang. Investigators pieced together the events of the Kent car show shootout through painstaking efforts after forming the South King County Gang Violence Initiative. Detectives from the Kent Police Department led the effort, but nearly a dozen police agencies contributed to the investigation. Investigators, facing a chaotic crime scene and uncooperative witnesses, were able to build a solid case.

They exhausted numerous evidentiary avenues, which included using: firearm tool mark evidence, text messaging records, fingerprints, social media, cell-phone tracking technology, jail phone call recordings, and video surveillance.

“This startling shootout in broad daylight at a shopping mall coalesced law enforcement and the community in South King County to take a stand against gang violence,” said King County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Satterberg.

Last week, the court accepted guilty pleas from the two remaining defendants, Isai Hernandez and James Lopez, for their involvement in the shooting. Hernandez pled guilty to a charge of Drive-By Shooting and Lopez pled to a charge of Rendering Criminal Assistance in the First Degree. In all, six defendants pleaded guilty and one was convicted at trial. Here’s a summary of the charges: Learn more . . .

 

PAO’s Annual Food Frenzy Drive Raises $11,600 for Food Lifeline
and Wins Public Sector Title for 9th Year in a Row

The PAO completed its annual two-week fundraising project in July called Food Frenzy, which raised $11,600 for Food Lifeline which equals last year’s total. The money will provide 46,400 meals for hungry children. Food Frenzy is a “friendly” competition between law, accounting and engineering firms with the goal of feeding children during the summer months when food bank shelves aren’t well stocked and school lunch programs aren’t running.

dandunkThe PAO has again won the competition in the Public Sector category for 2014 and has won in that category for the past nine years.

Employees participate in many fundraising projects including cooking & bake sales, softball and bowling tournaments, a pie baking contest, a silent auction for gift baskets, a spaghetti luncheon, raffles and Dress Down for a Cause. The Food Frenzy competition fielded a new event this year, a dunk tank. Employees could vote for co-workers and have them dunked into a lot of cold water.

The event was called “Make a Splash to Fight Hunger.”

Some volunteered for the event. Contestants paid $2 per throw, and if the ball hit the target, someone got dunked into 900 gallons of cold water, all for a good cause.  Learn more . . .

 

Dan Satterberg was dunked several times in the Dunk Tank
Competition. The event was called “Make a Splash to Fight Hunger.”

 

PAO Team Participates in Refuse To Abuse 5K Run

Refuse to Abuse 5KThe PAO’s Domestic Violence Unit joined in the Refuse to Abuse 5k Run/Walk in July hosted by the Seattle Mariners at Safeco Field to benefit the Washington State Coalition Against Domestic Violence. The event raised awareness and over $107,000 to prevent domestic violence.

The PAO Domestic Violence Unit team raised just over $2,000. The team handily won the friendly fundraising competition with the Seattle City Attorney’s Office. Thank you to everyone who participated in the Refuse to Abuse 5k and our PAO team organizers Gabby Charlton, Charles Sherer, and Dave Ryan.

PAO team photo in the Refuse to Abuse 5K

 

 

The PAO’s Partners in the Community

The PAO is working with King County TV to produce an ongoing series called “Prosecutor’s Partners,” which features people and organizations that are making a difference in King County. In this segment, Prosecutor Dan Satterberg interviews two representatives of Columbia Legal Services, Executive Director Aurora Martin, and staff attorney for Columbia, Merf Ehman. For the past 50 years, Columbia Legal Services has been providing legal services to the poor, but has also been advocating for changes in our community and for changes in our laws and criminal justice system, making it work better for everyone.

Click here to watch the 13 minute video. (external link to You Tube)

 

Community & Speaking Events

Dan Satterberg enjoys attending and speaking at community events.

In July, Dan emceed at:

  • The Burien Independence Day Parade.

If you would like to invite Dan or someone from the Prosecuting Attorney's Office to speak to your organization, please email the office at this link Prosecuting Attorney.

Connect to More Video on
The Prosecutor's Playlist

 watchus

CASE UPDATES:

State v. Marcus Ruffin

State v. Kennon Fastrup

State v. Bryan E. Corbett, Jr.

State v. Dathan L. Williams